Tuesday, January 10, 2017

New Work

My first art show is now hung up at the Unitarian Universalist Congregation, Santa Rosa.  It's very exciting.  The ladies of the Aesthetics Committee did a great job of arranging and hanging the 36 paintings, and I have been receiving a lot of lovely comments.  I really am proud of my work now.

Here are two new pieces.  I seem to be choosing, in painting pictures of my wonderful friend Nancy, to try my hand at very complex pieces.  One was the lovely photo of her holding light in her hands.  This one I chose because I was very interested in evoking her black velvety dress.

2017

Well, the whole picture turned out very complicated: her legs, her face, the reddish wall, the furry blanket she's sitting on.  The piece took a long time to complete.

And this one turned out much more interesting than I thought it would be too.  I chose it--the first picture of a new model--thinking it would be a quick and easy one-off.  And then, as usual, I found that her skin and the light shining on it were far more complicated than I thought they would be.  In places her skin glows.  How do you paint a glow?  The answer is with strong contrasts and with my old friend, the color orange.  


2017

I love this piece--I love both of these pieces.  This one especially is accomplishing my highest calling as an artist: advancing, just a little bit, our understanding of the miraculous interaction of skin and light.

I am feeling good as an artist.  And lucky.  It's very gratifying to know that my paintings are making their way in the world, just a little bit.  And I feel like I will always have this blessing, this romance between me and my paintbrush.  


No comments: